Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Week 25: "English is my second language."

WOW!!! Garden City is the place to BE!!!
I love Garden City. EVERYONE looks familiar to me here. It's super cool :)

For Thanksgiving we just visited tons of members and we found a couple new people to teach so I was fed very much both temporally and spiritually :)

Sorry for the confusion, Hermana Guillen is a native SPANISH speaker. She was born in Mexico, but she is from Washington State! The subject of this email is something she always says when she makes little dumb mistakes in English. hahah she's such a punk because she's fluent in both, but that's her excuse when she gets tongue-tied in English. She is super great - we are smiling and joking all the time. I love her! I'll attach a pic!

We are teaching some kick bootay solid people who I am just SO stoked about!! I want to tell you some stories:

DiAnn. Okay. So this story TOTALLY strengthens my testimony about how living and showing your faith can change lives. So one of DiAnn's acquaintances invited her to go to Utah with him to see the mountains (haha I thought that was funny - only in Kansas..) So she went and on the way back, they got in a really really bad car accident. Both of her legs, an arm, and a hip were broken. She was sent to the LDS hospital in Utah where she met TONS of LDS people (obviously). She was in the hospital for about 4 months. One of her aids got her a Book of Mormon with her name engraved on it the first day she was there. While she was there the missionaries visited her, taught her all the lessons for baptism, took her to church and the Salt Lake temple and just were as nice as could be to her. She wanted to get baptized there but the missionaries told her she should come back and meet the missionaries and the people here and get baptized here. She got back on Wednesday and we saw her on Thanksgiving! She raved about her experience in Utah and how kind and loving everyone was to her. She told us that she told her son she was going to be Mormon soon. :D haha so I just asked her straight up "So DiAnn, when would you like to get baptized?" :) And now she's on date for baptism for the 13th of December!!!! We are so excited :) Her daughter is working towards baptism too!! :) DiAnn always says that it was divine intervention that she was in Utah, maybe in not so good circumstances, but God needed her to stay there long enough to learn the gospel. She already has such a firm testimony of the truthfulness of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. It is just so awesome :)

Cesar and April: THEY ARE SO AWESOME!!! I just love them so much. The first time I saw them, Cesar told me I look really familiar to him too! I thought it was the kind of familiarity that I have been feeling the whole time I've been here but then he went on to say that I look like a model from a TV show and I was like "ummm nope!" haha it was funny. They are so awesome and so prepared. They are so willing and ready to do everything they have to in order to be baptized. It is so cool!! We talked about temples last night when we went over and they are so excited to be sealed as a family in the temple in a little over a year. They asked if we would be able to be there with them when they go to the temple and we of course said "YES!!!!!" Brothers and Sisters, this is the true joy of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. :) They are preparing to be baptized on December 20 :))

I LOVE BEING A MISSIONARY!!!!!!!!! The miracles TOTALLY outweigh the disappointments. OH! We found a family to teach by going to church on Sunday...so that was pretty cool :D haha Sister Guillen says that happens all the time in western Kansas. I guess this family had been to church many times before and had been taught by missionaries, but had lost contact with them because of transfers so they never got baptized! We are excited to meet with them this week :)

So, just to recap. I love Garden City. I love Sister Guillen. I love being a missionary. I love the Book of Mormon. I love Jesus Christ. :)

And I love all of you :)

Con todo mi corazon y mi amor,

Hermana Shumway

Sister Guillen speaking Pig Latin, trying to teach
me "Spanish". The punk. haha I love her!

Sister Guillen and I with some members of the ward at
a birthday party!

Sister Guillen and I on a beautiful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment