Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Week 24: Garden City / Garden of Eden Bound

HEY-LO!!!! HAPPY THANKSGIVING this week!! That is just absurd!! How is it already Thanksgiving? I dunno...but I hope you all have a wonderful holiday full of all of the things that make you happy :)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY this week to CARLY KAY!!! I love you so much, sister! I hope you have an awesome day :) Thank you for all you continue to do for me.

Yup. This little missionary is headed OUT of Topeka and out WEST into Garden City!! Say, what? I never thought this day would come, but I have been here in Topeka for 4 months...crazy stuff. I'm super excited to see more of the heartland and have some more super awesome experiences with Hermana Guillen, a native!!! We will be teaching in Spanish and English, but I'm so stoked to learn a ton from Hermana Guillen :) AND I will be in the same district as one of the Elders who was in my district at the MTC: Elder Cole! He is my new district leader!! AND I will be in the same Zone as Hermana Adams, who was my companion in the MTC!!! I am sooooo excited to see them :) But. I am very sad to be leaving Topeka and all of the people I love so so much. This email won't be terribly long because I have to go home and pack because they want us to be in Wichita TONIGHT rather than tomorrow morning. OH! Sister Seigfried is training a new missionary!!! She is really excited and I am too. She is going to do a great job :)

So before Sister Seigfried and I went to our appointment with Elvia, the investigator we found at church last week, I said "She's going to have read all of the Book of Mormon and she's just gonna ask us what she has to do to be baptized." Then when we got there she told us that she had had a Book of Mormon for 2 years over in Mexico but had left it there when she came to the United States and that she was really close to finishing it when she left Mexico. She told us a few things about the struggles she is going through and she was crying and all of this and out of nowhere Sister Seigfried threw out the baptismal invitation!!!! Then she said "You tell me. What do I have to do to prepare myself?" I was blown away. haha so I just threw down the Law of Chastity and the Word of Wisdom right there and she accepted them right away and we put her on date!!! Like, wow? Faith works. It is a principle of POWER and ACTION!!!

A couple of weeks ago, all the missionaries in the mission were issued a challenge to read the WHOLE Book of Mormon by Christmas. Yes. Just over a month to read it all. How awesome, right?! Yeah. It is. And let me just tell you. Never in my life have I been SO excited to read the Book of Mormon and get everything done early so I have time to read it. And I LOVE it. As I have tried to use it in every single teaching appointment I have felt my testimony of it grow stronger and stronger. I know the Book of Mormon is true. Like we always tell those we teach, by their fruits you shall know them. The fruits of the Book of Mormon are countless. One of the greatest of its fruits is the undeniable Spirit when you read it with the intent to know truth. One of Sister Seigfried's and my favorite verses that we've read a lot is 2 Nephi 33:10. If you believe in Christ, you WILL believe the Book of Mormon. It has become so precious to me and I feel so blessed that I will have the Book of Mormon for the rest of my life to feast on and learn from.

I love you all so very much, I hope you know that :) You are wonderful. Please let me know if there is anything a little missionary in Kansas can do for any of you. I would love to do it :)

Have a wonderful week and make sure you "delight in fatness" on Thanksgiving!!!

Con todo mi corazon y mi amor,

Hermana Shumway


Pictures of the good-byes:


Ladies at Doorstep - secondhand clothing store where we
went every week!

Some members of the branch who I absolutely ADORE.

Bye Retanas!

No comments:

Post a Comment