Monday, February 9, 2015

Week 35: Our Lovely Deseret

Hola! Hello! Yo! Hey there! Hi there! 'Sup?!

If you don't know what this hymn says...look it up. hahaha Sister Mendoza and I were cracking up while we were singing it in sacrament meeting yesterday....good one to sing when investies are at church. hahaha oh my...good stuff!

Lots of cool stuff happened this week! I'll give the run down on some miracles, some evidence of the Messiah among us, that we saw this week!

First off, Amy and Fredric. They are a family, don't know if I've mentioned them before or not...buuut they are awesome. We met them just simply by talking to everyone. They came to church yesterday which was awesome! In one of our lessons with them this week we talked to them about tithing and fasting. In the lesson, Amy was different. Not her usual curious, lots-of-comments, self. We asked if she was okay, she said yes, but of course we knew something was up - girl intuition, right? :) When we extended the commitment to live the law of tithing, they hesitantly said yes. Amy has been a little unsure of baptism, definitely more than Fredric. So we invited her to fast about the decision. We also went over prayer again and how you pray, why you pray, testified that prayers are answered, etc. All the good stuff. Then we left. The next day, we went back for our next lesson and in the opening prayer, Amy thanked Heavenly Father for the raise she got at work! So we of course congratulated her after the prayer and she told us what happened. So. She had had an evaluation at work that day and the night before, when we were talking about tithing and stuff, she was really stressed about it. She didn't know if it was going to go well or if she was going to lose her job and especially with paying tithing, she just didn't know how they were going to get on. Before her evaluation, she prayed and told Heavenly Father that if this is the religion she's supposed to be in, if this is what she's supposed to do, to just give her a good day at work, help her evaluation go well. And thennnnn she got a .90 raise!!! Heavenly Father ANSWERS prayers!! She had such great faith. Now she is as excited as Fredric for their baptism on the 28th :)

Sister Hymas and her companion gave an AMAZING training at zone training about FEELING the Savior "one by one" every week when we take the Sacrament. I copied her description of it from her email - yes, cheating!

Our training was all about feeling Jesus Christ.  So we talked about when Jesus came to the Americas and he invited all to come and feel him.  Then we went onto the chapel and had everyone blindfolded.  We went through a "sensory experience".  We walked them through the atonement really.  There were things they could listen to and things they could touch.  It started out with Jesus in the garden of Gethsemane, and everyone got to touch a piece of the plant.  They could hear him praying, the crickets chirping, and a bit of wind.  Then it went to the scourging, you could hear the crack of the whip over and over again, and then the whip was passed around and they each got to feel it.  Then it went to when Jesus was nailed on the cross.  Each person got to hold a nail, and then the hammer was passed around. Then it was the sound of the tomb closing and everyone got to hold a rock.  I wish I could explain the powerful spirit that was there at that time.  It was very real to us all.  Then we played the song from Nashville Tribute! The "He is Risen" one.  SO POWERFUL.   At the beginning the song is very quite and its Mary, asking where Jesus is, and then Jesus comes in and says, "Mary".  At that moment we had one of the elders go around and hold everyone's hand.  Each person got to feel Christs hand.


What I felt the most from that training is the REALITY of Jesus Christ. I KNOW He lives. I KNOW His Atonement is real. I know I would not be who I am now without it. I couldn't be better without it. I am so grateful for Jesus Christ. When I felt that hand in mine...I can not describe the joy and gratitude I felt. I love Him. I cannot wait to see Him again and just hug Him. I hope and pray I hear the words "well done, my good and faithful servant." :)

I love you all and hope you have the best week!

Con todo mi corazon y mi amor,

Hermana Shumway

A less active, Jean, who stopped smoking
and put her ashtray outside - "will you make
me a 'NO SMOKING' and 'NO DRINKING'
sign to put on my door?".... yeah, we could
prolly do that. UM YES!! haha :)

Consuelo, a recent convert......doing my hair "like the
Mexican girls do it".

The finished product....

No comments:

Post a Comment