Monday, August 4, 2014

Week 8: I Believe in Miracles!


HOLA FAMILIA Y AMIGOS!!!


Thank you for your prayers this week! I definitely felt them and loved the time I had to serve the Lord as His missionary last week :) Can't wait for this coming week!!

Thank you for everyone who is emailing me. Really. I feel the love :) But for real, thank you so much. I love reading all about how my friends at home are doing so keep them coming please!

Thank you Cara for your letter!!!! And mom, thank you for your letter of updates! Such a good idea :)

I ATE CHICKEN FEET. Yeah. Hermana Hymas and I were a little freaked. haha yeah...don't really know what else to say about it except it's just yeah....chicken feet.

We have 2 investigators on date for the 23rd of August! Their names are Xaira and Maria. Please keep them in their prayers! We are very excited for them!! We are going to put 2 or 3 more investigators on date this week!! The work is progressing here in Topeka :)

Okay. The title of my email is kind of self-explanatory but it's so true. Hermana Hymas and I see miracles SO many times throughout the day. In the Bible Dictionary (a great study resource in the LDS Gospel Library) it defines miracles as "the natural result of the Messiah's presence among men." Whoa. So cool, right?! We see physical miracles: Spanish copies of the Book of Mormon in the back seat of our car when we KNEW we had NO MORE in our car - that was a cool one. 
We see miracles in timing so many times throughout the day. I will tell you about one of them. Her name is Megan. She speaks English and only a little bit of Spanish so we technically aren't allowed to teach her because she wouldn't attend our Spanish branch, but anyway. We street contacted her when we went to visit a less active - we literally got out of the car RIGHT when she was getting out of hers and we met on the sidewalk at the SAME time - and she was going through a really hard time in her life. We testified that our message is about Jesus Christ and can bless everyone in every aspect of their lives. We testified that Christ knows her. He knows her struggles, He loves her. She started crying and told us that that was exactly what she needed at that moment. We gave her a Book of Mormon and asked her to read a few scriptures on the Atonement which she said she would do. The other day, we saw her AGAIN while trying to visit this less active - another miracle in timing - and we were able to follow up on her reading. She said she read and cried (felt the Spirit) and continued reading!!!!!! AHHH!!! We have an appointment with her this week.

Other miracles we see are when Hermana Hymas and I both receive the same revelation through the Holy Ghost. It is the COOLEST thing. Oh man, I love being a missionary. The Lord's hand is totally in this work. It is HIS work.

Let me tell you about another spiritual experience I had this week :) I think I may have mentioned last week that it's super cool when I feel a witness from the Holy Ghost that what I am testifying of is truly what I believe. Hopefully that makes sense to you. haha Anyway. It happened again this week :) A man we met on the street asked what I have learned from the Book of Mormon. I felt impressed to talk about my divine nature. So I talked about how the Book of Mormon has taught me that I'm a daughter of God. I know that He loves me. He wants me to be happy. I don't remember everything I said, but I got emotional in that moment because I felt the Holy Ghost testify that I really do know that! And believe that! It was so cool. I love having those experiences.

I love being a missionary. I love it I love it I love it.

I love all of you so much. Thank you for all of your support, prayers, and love.

Con todo mi corazon y mi amor,

Hermana Shumway


Pictures for the week:


"I know it's against the law to put stuff in
others' mailboxes....but it's ok if it's the
words of salvation, right....? Haha, jkjkjk
I didn't do it, I promise :)"

"#diversity"

"Um...Yes. I ate NACHO LIBRE CORN!!!!
It is DELICIOUS!!!! Life made."

"My first letter in the field!!! Thank you Cara! I love you!!!"

1 comment:

  1. This is the third time today I have tried to post a comment. I hope it works this time. I love reading your letters about your missionary work. I wish I had gone on a mission when I was younger, but it wasn't encouraged then for women to go. I love hearing about all your contacts and new adventures. Love, Sis McKaskle

    ReplyDelete