Monday, August 25, 2014

Week 11: How do you solve a problem like Maria?

HOLA MI FAMILIA Y MIS AMIGOS!!!
Wasn't this past week just great?! 

I can't believe BYU starts next week!! So weird! Weird that summer is truly over! Crazy stuff.

Letter "Thank you's!": .......... moving on!

So. Title of this email came from the dear Sister Hymas. We were talking about all of our investigators today and there are quite a few named Maria. Sister Hymas started singing this song from the Sound of Music and I just started laughing really hard! So I had to put it as the title today. 

Funny story. So ya know how our family says "and then I found 20 dollars." when our story-telling didn't go as well as planned? Yeah. Well I told a story yesterday while we were on a team-up with a member and it didn't go so well so I ended it with "and then I found 20 dollars..." and she said "really?! That was the best part of your story!" and she didn't even know the purpose of saying that! It was pretty funny :) I hope you understand what I'm saying and this isn't one of those stories that you should end with "...and then I found 20 dollars..." but just to cover my bases "....and then I found 20 dollars." haha ;)

Let me tell you a little bit about Topeka! I love Topeka! We spend most of our time in a little area that is fondly referred to as "Little Mexico". We were on bikes/the bus/walking this week and it was pretty warm, but it's all good! A lot of the members pulled through for us and helped us out a lot :)

About riding bikes. The Elders in our Spanish Branch let us borrow theirs (so nice!) and told us "pics or it didn't happen"...and guess what. We didn't take a picture. :( But I promise it happened! It was really funny though. Let's just say Sis Hymas and I need to buy some biking shorts.... We will make sure to get some next week.
This week I have loved reading conference addresses from this April. I will tell you about a spiritual experience I had while reading them. Wait. Let me back up. One day this week in my personal study I decided to read El Cristo Viviente (The Living Christ). This was Tuesday, so I'll be honest I had a little bit of P day hangover and was thinking about friends at home so I wasn't as focused on it as I should have been. I consciously realized what was happening so I said a quick silent prayer for Heavenly Father to help me focus on this important document about our Savior. 
After I did that, the next paragraph I read was the testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith which says something like: "of all the testimonies that have been given of Him, this is the one we give last of all: He lives!" 
When I read those two words, in Spanish "Que Vive!" the Spirit just washed over me and I just felt so strongly the truth of that statement - and of course, I cried. I am a cry-baby out here! (In a good way.) Our Savior Jesus Christ is REAL. Heavenly Father knew that I wouldn't receive that witness from the Spirit if I was focused on other things, such as those people at home. I am so grateful for my Savior. I know He lives. He suffered for us, to strengthen us, and know how to help us. I am so grateful for him and His infinite sacrifice. Everyday I try to rely more and more on His strength to enlarge my capabilities and do better, be a better servant.

As far as investigators go...we have one named Sonya on date for the 6th and a few others (Vivian, Isabel, and Maria) on date for the 13th. We are really excited about the work here in Topeka :) I love being an instrument for the Lord :) These are His children who He loves so deeply. I am grateful for this opportunity to work in this labor of love among them :)

I pray I will be able to do His work, in His time, and in His way.

Thank you for all of your love :)

Con todo mi corazon y mi amor,

Hermana Shumway

No comments:

Post a Comment