Thursday, July 31, 2014

Week 7: Party in the USA....Spanish Mistakes and All!!

HOLA family and friends!!
 
I am in Topeka, Kansas in a little Spanish Branch. Do not overestimate when I say little. Cuz it is LITTLE. We had about 15ish people at church yesterday. Super small!
 
I am speaking lots of Spanish which is very awesome and I'm super stoked about it! Thankfully, I don't feel nervous about speaking Spanish which is SUCH a blessing - thanks Heavenly Father!
 
My companion is Hermana Hymas from Lindon, Utah. She has been out for about a year and speaks about as much Spanish as I do so we are learning together. She is very sweet and patient.
 
Thank you to ELDER HOUSARI for the letter! I got it right when I got to Kansas!
 
When I got to Kansas, we had no investigators so we did a lot of finding and contacting this week. We have 5 new investigators who we are meeting with this week!! WOOT!! I'm so excited to start teaching them and help them change their lives. In Spanish or English :) Good thing the Gospel is true in all languages and the Spirit speaks all languages!
 
Funny Spanish story during a street contact: "yo se que el Evangelio de Jesucristo bendice todas las personas en el MENUDO"-hahahah oh man. Bad stuff. So awful. haha I quickly corrected myself, but still. I was sooo embarrassed. haha
 
This week, I decided to study the Book of Mormon (one of those blue little ones so I can mark it all up) with a specific question in mind and let me tell you. I have never been SO excited and SO into reading the Book of Mormon. I haven't even read that far into it yet cuz I just started today, but I've already learned so much as I have tried to study like one of my investigators would - really REALLY trying to find my answer. It is such a cool perspective and it have brought so much joy to reading the Book of Mormon. I can't wait to learn more. 
 
July 27 was the Spanish Father's Day so Happy Father's Day Daddy!! I love you!
 
Happy Birthday, Linsey Lou (on Sunday)!!!! That's so fun :)
 
Well I love you all so much...
Please keep the prayers coming! Missions are tough so please send up all the prayers you can. I love you I love you I LOVE YOU!!
 
I love this Gospel, I know it's true. I know Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world, not menudo. I know God loves us and wants us to be happy. TRUE and lasting happiness only comes from living this gospel. I love it. 
 
Con todo mi corazon y mi amor,
 
Hermana Shumway

Q&A:

How was your first day?  First day. hmmmm well. on Wednesday, the first FULL day in KS, we had meetings and trainings in the morning, then we met our trainers, had lunch, and had a little devo and testimony meeting. Then we left for our areas! Topeka is about 2 hours from Wichita. Then we went grocery shopping then went to our apartment and I unpacked and got settled in and such. 

First impression of Kansas: HOLY HOT. haha Tuesday - the day I got to Kansas - was the hottest day of the year so far. and let me tell you. it was HOT. AND we went out tracting that day - like 2 hours after we got there! haha it was really hot, and I was really sweaty, but I loved it! We placed some copies of the Book of Mormon and invited people to be baptized AND got some referrals for that area! It was goooood.

Who's your companion: her name is Hermana Hymas. She is from Lindon, Utah. She will be out a year in August! She is very sweet and patient. 

Food-Do the members feed you?: ummmm. I have been to a members house once to eat. :/ we are in a SUUUPER small Spanish Branch. Super super small - 15ish people were at church yesterday. The branch is assigned days to feed us and then one of the English wards is assigned days too. but yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment