Monday, September 29, 2014

Week 16: Revelatory Comp Studies and Linguistic Break-Downs

Hello my dearest family!!!!!!!

I hope you all had a fabulous week! 
Start off with an apology, Aaron and Alicia, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY last week!!! I love you both oh so very much and am so grateful for your examples to me!

Thank you to everyone who continues to email me, I really appreciate the love, support, testimonies, and advice I receive each and every week - you are such a strength to me! Thank you to Eric Wade Schofield for the letter this week :) So great to hear from best buds from home!

We had a pretty great week this week! I don't know if I have too much to report, but we are still working really hard with Sonia and Jose and their family, please continue to send prayers their way!
We have started to teach a few families and we hope we get the opportunity to meet with them all again! 

Linguistic break-downs. haha so many times I try to say things in Spanish that I would say in English and they just don't translate well..hahah it's pretty funny. Like "nunca mente" for never mind. Yeah. Doesn't work. haha and yesterday at church I was asking a young single adult about this girl and I asked if he "liked-liked" a girl and he was like "whoaaaa...we are having a linguistic break-down" and it was just really funny :)

This week Hermana Hymas and I have had some AWESOME comp studies. One was when we were reading in the Book of Mormon in Alma 32. I just got so much more out of that chapter than I ever had before. I realized so powerfully that when someone hears of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ and does what is necessary to nurture their faith (pray, read the scriptures, go to church), their faith grows and is strengthened and they are able to gain a testimony of it's truthfulness. But, when they receive the gospel and DON'T do those things with a true desire to act on their faith in Jesus Christ and experiment/learn more about His gospel, they throw it aside and decide that it isn't truth. But this isn't so. The seed (our faith) didn't grow because it isn't true, but because our ground is barren! It was just really really cool! 

I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is in reality the true church of Jesus Christ with all of His organization and HIS teachings. He is at the head. Our loving Father in Heaven has made that so apparent to me. This is real! This weekend, we have the amazing opportunity to hear from His servants on the earth, even the Prophet and the 12 Apostles who are all called of God to lead and guide His children. I am stoked out of my MIND to listen and receive revelation directly from Heavenly Father. I invite you all to think of a question or 2 to take to General Conference and EXPECT an answer. I know they will come as we listen with our spiritual ears and hearts. :) I love you all so very much. Thank you for all of your continued love and support that strengthens me every day!

Con todo mi corazon y mi amor,


Hermana Shumway


At the Woman's Conference with some other sisters
in my zone.

This is for Mom: TONS of carne asada for dinner last
night!!

Q&A

1. Anything interesting or quirky about where you're living?
Hmmm. We are about right across the street from our church meetinghouse, right by the freeway. Haha my apartment's AC doesn't shut off when it gets to a certain temperature, so when we turn it on for the night it stays on ALL NIGHT. When we wake up, we are FREEZING. haha there have been a couple times when I've worn sweats under my skirt. Yeah. That's quite the look. ;)


2. Have you eaten anything interesting? Did you like it?
I think the one that takes the cake is that chicken feet stew I had the 2nd week I was here. And with that comes pig skin tacos....and my favorite, corn with mayo and cheese and tajin :)

3. What are you supposed to do if there's a tornado?
We made a plan for where to go if there is a tornado, we have 3 different places to go! Scary stuff!

4.  What kinds of things do you do for P-day?
Pday activities. Clean the apartment, clean the car, go to the store, laundry, write letters, email, hang out with the district, go to historical sites... and sometimes just sit. hahah :)

5. Any treats or items you need or want?
Well NEED, never. :) There's always items I WANT, but I think I am alright! Thank you :)

6. When are your next transfers?
Transfers are October 15. My training will be over...weird.

7. What do you get to do for general conference? (I was meaning where she got to watch it, so I guess I should have been more specific:)
LISTEN TO THE PROPHET OF THE RESTORED CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST!!!!! I am so stoked. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment